You are here

Accommodation booking

Allocation of Rooms

The Rooms Tutor in consultation with the Tutorial Committee is responsible for allocating College accommodation, and endeavours to apply fair principles of seniority and priority of application in meeting preferences of members.

To this end, students are divided into three categories depending on their status:

In the highest priority group are:

  • Undergraduate students on their first or last year of their course.
  • Affiliated undergraduate students who haven’t previously lived in. Clinical veterinary medicine or medical students (in total three years out of five).
  • PhD students for the first three years of their course. Other postgraduate students who haven’t lived in before. CR executive (President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, Welfare Officer, Students Librarian).
  • Visiting Scholars/Priests, Teiko Students, Research Fellows.

In the middle priority group are:

  • Affiliated undergraduates who have previously lived in.
  • Undergraduates in the second year of their studies.
  • PhD students on their fourth year*.

The lowest priority group consists of all other continuing students.

The rooms are allocated based on the category the student has applied for. Within the category rooms are allocated by ballot.

For continuing graduate and undergraduate students the Rooms Tutor holds a ballot, in each Lent Term.

For those students who wish to live out in private rather than college provided accommodation, advice can be provided by the Accommodation Office, the University Accommodation Service, the Cambridge University Students Union (CUSU) and the Graduate Union (GU). Tutors can also give advice and should always be consulted over contracts and any difficulties over relations with landlords.

*Students from this group will not be allocated accommodation unless they can prove they will be paying Tuition Fees. No exception is made if the student did not live in College in one of the previous 3 years. This is because, either, when applying they met their conditions after the deadline when the College guarantees accommodation will be offered, or, they had decided not to apply for accommodation, or, they had not accepted it when it was offered.

Tenure of Rooms

For undergraduates, the licence period is normally until the end of June. For graduates studying for an MPhil or similar degree, the licence period is normally until the Congregation (graduation) towards the end of July. For graduates studying for a PhD, the licence period is normally 12 months.

Rents are invoiced quarterly in advance and are expected to be paid immediately. Termly rent scales can be obtained from the Accommodation Office at .

Notice Period

Members who have been allocated a room in College will be issued with a Licence Agreement. Upon signing the Agreement, keys and/or access cards will be issued. If they wish to vacate their room during the year they must give 3 months notice, except from 1st July to 1st September when 4 weeks notice may be given.

Extension of Room Licence Period

Students may request an extension of their room licence period. This is particularly important for graduates whose studies extend beyond July. Requests for extensions should be made to the Tutorial Secretary. The College reserves the right to move students to a different room should they wish to extend their licence period.

Unauthorised Occupancy

If a room is occupied beyond the agreed period without permission, there will be a surcharge of double the daily rate, and a charge may be levied for the additional inconvenience to the administrative and housekeeping staff.

Letting of Accommodation during a Member’s Absence

The College reserves the right to let rooms, flats and maisonettes immediately on the expiry of a licence period and will normally do so. Students on termly contracts are expected to vacate their rooms during the vacations except by prior agreement. When a student is billed quarterly and is away for a short period of time, the College does not offer any rent reduction as the student has licence to occupy. Nor will the College sub-let the student’s room. There is therefore, no requirement to hand in keys or make the room available for guests.

A student who intends to be absent from College for a long period must inform their Tutor well in advance. In exceptional circumstances where a student is undertaking prolonged fieldwork and has applied for leave to work away and their room can be rented during their absence, the possibility of a refund will be considered at the discretion of the Rooms Tutor and the Bursar.

Sub-letting of Rooms

Students are not permitted to sub-let their rooms or to allow anyone to stay in their room when they are not there. Any violation of this regulation is reported to the Senior Tutor who will take appropriate action in conjunction with the Rooms Tutor and Bursar.

Access to Rooms

While a student is in residence, his/her room is home. Everybody – staff, Fellows, and other students – should respect the occupant’s right to privacy. From time to time, however, it may be necessary for a College officer, member of staff or approved contractor to gain access to a room as a matter of urgency, whether or not the occupant is present. For example, there might be a potential danger to people or to the fabric of the building and people from outside the College, such as electrical contractors or window cleaners may need to carry out approved work; or a College officer or staff member may need access in order to perform their duties. Whenever practicable and reasonable, an attempt will be made to arrange a mutually convenient time; but if the matter is urgent, access must be granted without undue delay. The housekeeping staff would also expect reasonable access to ensure that rooms are kept clean and tidy. Further checks will normally take place only when there is reason for concern that a room is not being properly maintained according to the guidelines. Nobody should enter a room without knocking and giving the occupant reasonable time to respond.

Care of Fabric and Furniture

Furniture or carpets may not be moved from one room to another, or put in corridors, or moved outside the building, and curtains are not to be taken down. Personal furniture or curtains may not be brought into any student accommodation. Rooms must be maintained in an acceptable state. Nails and drawing pins, sellotape, Blu-tak and White-tak damage paintwork and may therefore not be used to fix posters, pictures, etc. to the walls. Blu-tak and White-tak may only be used on non-painted wooden surfaces. Most rooms are provided with pin-boards or picture-rails.

Rooms should be left clean and tidy when they are vacated. Failure to do could result in a charge for cleaning and prohibition from having a room in College in the future. Occupants will be charged for any damage to the fabric, decoration, furniture or fittings. Charges will reflect the real cost of repair or replacement, and are therefore likely to be high. There may also be an additional financial penalty in recognition of the extra work caused for the College staff. Charges for damage to communal areas such as kitchens will be split equally among the students living there.

Caution Money and Unpaid Rents

Caution money equivalent of one month’s rent (minimum £455.00) is charged at the commencement of residence each year against possible loss or damage to decorations, fabric and furnishings, and is credited (as appropriate) in the final bill. Release of caution money can only be made if the student completes the relevant form and is signed off by a member of the housekeeping staff.

Accounts for College fees and charges are presented at the beginning of each full term and are due for payment immediately. Students must ensure that they have sufficient funds to pay each term's account in full, including their first payment on arrival in Cambridge. Students with a valid reason to delay payment must contact the Student Finance Officer within 14 days of the first day of full term. Failure to do so may result in interest of 1.5% (per month) being charged on overdue accounts.

Official Visitors and Members' Guests

Occasional guest rooms are available for Fellows’ and Students’ private guests. Such rooms must be booked via . Cancellations must be made in advance, otherwise the room will be charged to the member’s account.

All students must sign in any guests at Reception. This is to comply with fire and safety regulations and failure to do so is taken very seriously. Other than during the first fortnight of the academic year, students may have a guest in their room for a maximum of nine nights per term, however, the guest may not stay for longer than three nights consecutively.

College staff and others who in the course of their normal duties encounter a person unknown to them may enquire as to their identity; students and their guests must comply with this request. Students must accept full responsibility for their guests. Since space is limited, guests may not park cars on College premises except to load or unload.