You are here

Architecture

Director of Studies   Dr Koen Steemers (Department of Architecture)
Faculty website    http://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/
Undergraduate admissions    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk
Course information    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/architecture/
Further enquiries    admissions@st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk

 

 

 

 

 

 

Undergraduate Study

BA Architecture Tripos

Course Overview

The BA (Hons) in Architecture at the University of Cambridge is a validated ARB/RIBA Part 1 course, which is the first stage in qualifying as an architect. The course takes three years.  Studio work accounts for 60% of the overall marks each year, while the remaining 40% is gained from essays, examinations and coursework.

There is further information about the course on the University and Faculty webpages.

Entry Requirements

There are no specific subject requirements requested by the College.

Please note that we would ask you to present a portfolio of recent work at interview.  Admissions Tutors want to see something that will illustrates your interests, experience and ability in the visual and material arts. Normally drawing and painting forms the basis of the portfolio but other media such as sculpture and photography may also be included. It's usually sufficient for three-dimensional work to be exhibited in photographs.

A sketchbook with ongoing drawings is extremely helpful and applicants are encouraged to take one to the interview. It may be in any media (pencil, charcoal, crayon etc) and should include a variety of subject matter. The work can be material prepared for school-leaving examinations but creative work executed outside formal courses is also welcome.

The College will also ask you to submit at least one piece of recent written work (preferably marked) with your application.  Please contact the Admissions Office for a cover sheet.

At-Interview Assessment

All applicants will be asked to sit an assessment on the day they attend their interview in College.  The assessment will last no longer than an hour, and will be comparable to the pre interview test taken by standard age applicants.  Information about the pre-interview tests for Architecture, specimen papers and a specification can be found on the University Architecture webpage under 'Entry Requirements'