You are here

Frequently asked questions

How big are the rooms?

The rooms vary in size and only typical figures can be given here. The smallest rooms are around 10-12m2 in area. Some of the largest rooms are more than twice this size. The bulk of the rooms have sizes somewhere in between, for example, most of the rooms in the Richard Laws building are approximately 15m2 in size.

What is the difference between the categories?

More information on room categories can be found here.

How are the rooms furnished?

A typical study bedroom contains: Bed (base, mattress, sheets, pillows, duvet), Easy chair, Desk, Desk chair, Desk lamp, Wardrobe (closet), Bookshelves, Washbasin, Bedside cupboard, Chest of drawers, Mains electric connection point.

Is/are bed linen/towels provided?

Freshly laundered bed linen is provided weekly. Towels are not provided.

How many students share bathroom/shower/toilet?

All rooms are within easy reach of a bathroom/shower/toilet. Usually these serve 2-4 per shower and 3-5 per toilet or lavatory. Communal facilities are cleaned regularly by College staff.

Can students cook for themselves?

Members are expected to take most meals in College. However, four small kitchens are available in the Norfolk Building, where members can cook simple meals. The residents of Benet House have their own kitchen. Residents in the Richard Laws Building have the use of a small kitchen on each wing (8 in total) and residents in the Brian Heap building have the use of a large kitchen on each wing (10 in total). Flats and maisonettes have their own individual kitchens. Please note that environmental health legislation lays down stringent regulations for mass cooking, and that accordingly the College does not permit large-scale catering in the student kitchens under any circumstances. Because of hazards to personal safety and the risk of damage to furnishings and fittings, cooking is only allowed in the kitchens provided. Cooking is not allowed in any College rooms, except for the use of electric kettles, which must be used on a tray. All other appliances may only be used in the kitchens. Refrigerators and conventional electric ovens must not be brought into College.

Are there laundry facilities?

Yes. Card-operated washing machines and tumble driers are available in the College launderette located beneath the flats. Irons and ironing boards are also available. Laundry services are additionally available via local private companies, but are expensive. Members must make their own arrangements and bear their own costs if they decide to do this.

Can I park my car on site?

No. Parking facilities in College are extremely limited. The parking of motor vehicles permanently in the College grounds is not permitted. Undergraduates, unless they can provide evidence of special circumstances (e.g. disability), should not expect to be granted permission to keep a car in Cambridge.

Can I have a TV, HI-FI system or PC in my room?

Yes. These are termed 'Permitted Appliances'. Electric appliances with low current consumption (e.g. radios, CD players, electric razors) may be used but other appliances with heavier consumption (e.g. electric fires or microwave ovens) are strictly forbidden. The safety of any privately-owned electrical appliance is the responsibility of its user. All electrical equipment must be tested for safety at the owner's expense and an appropriate certificate obtained; safety testing by College maintenance staff is arranged via the Manciple. We make every effort to provide sufficient discrete power outlet sockets for your use. In the event that more sockets are required (e.g. to run a hi-fi system with a number of elements) a single 4-way trailing socket may be used if it is fitted with a mains isolation switch; this also must be tested for safety by maintenance staff. Enquiries as to the use of electrical apparatus should be addressed, in the first instance, to the Manciple. Use of socket adaptors (normally 2 or 3 way) is not allowed under any circumstances. If additional outlets are required for good reasons, application should be made to the Manciple. It is in the interest of everyone's safety that these rules should be strictly observed and adhered to. Modification or addition to the electric wiring in any room by residents is strictly forbidden. Note also that a television will require a licence.

Do you guarantee a place in College accommodation?

No. See here for more information.

Whereabouts in the College are the rooms?

The rooms are in various places around the campus. See here for more information.

How much is the rent and when does it have to be paid?

Please see the Accommodation Maintenance sheet (PDF).

When are rooms available?

In 2016, new students can move in from Wednesday 28th September.  Continuing students can move in from Friday 30th September.

What about medical/dental care?

Each new member can register with a local Cambridge doctor; cards for this purpose are available in the College Office. Mental health care is available in the University; details may be obtained through your doctor or through the Cambridge University Counselling Service (CUCS). The CUCS provides professional and confidential counselling for academic, social and personal problems with which the normal College structures are for whatever reason unable to cope. A student may make an appointment either directly with the Centre or through his or her Tutor or the Dean.

There is also a University Dental Centre.

Overseas Visiting Fellows, Scholars and Students who intend to be in residence in this country for less than six months will not be entitled to medical care free of charge under the UK National Health Service. It is recommended that immediately they arrive they should obtain medical insurance, unless they are already adequately covered under a valid insurance scheme. The College cannot be liable for any medical expenses.