You are here

Health and Welfare

Medical Care

Every student should register themselves with a Cambridge GP. The nearest medical practice to College is located at 1 Huntingdon Road, Tel: 01223 364127.

The College Nurse

Please see the College Nurse page here.

Medical Emergencies


A&E or 999

In an extreme emergency the nearest Accident & Emergency Department is at Addenbrooke's Hospital. An extreme emergency is a condition such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life threatening condition. Please use this service appropriately! Further information on this is available at

You should only call 999 in an emergency. If it is not a life-threatening situation, consider the other options available to you.

NHS 111

NHS 111  is the NHS non-emergency number. Further information about this is on the NHS website.

First Response Service (FRS)

The FRS supports people experiencing a mental health crisis.  The First Response Service provides 24-hours access, seven days a week, 365 days a year, to mental health care, advice, support and treatment.  By calling 111, and selecting option 2, you will be put through to a member of the FRS who will speak to you and discuss your current mental health needs.  For more information please see their information leaflet at


If you fall ill you should inform your College Tutor.
The University's advice on Health can be found at
Univesity Health and Welfare Guidelines are available here. Please see particularly Important Advice for Newly-Arriving University Students on Vaccine-Preventable Infectious Diseases.

Registration with a GP

All students are required to register with a doctor. There is no charge for their services and there are several surgeries close to the College.

Further Information

A new guide to the local NHS just for Cambridge University students is now available. Whether you’re joining us this year, or returning to the city to continue your studies, the guide covers everything from registering with a GP to mental health and from colleges nurses and how they can help you to what to keep a medical kit.

The Combination Room website has information on student welfare at and the student welfare officer may be able to help.

Guidelines covering a range of health matters are issued from time to time by various bodies and committees that advise the collegiate University on health issues, please click here for more information.

For advice on vaccine-preventable infectious diseases (including information on meningitis) please click here.

The College Health and Wellbeing Committee is chaired by Professor Hill Gaston, who is contactable at

The Student Counselling Service

The Student Counselling Service is available to all undergraduate students in residence and graduate students on the register.

What sort of problems can be helped through counselling?

Most personal, relationship or identity problems can be helped through counseling. This includes anxiety, stress and depression, family and/or relationship difficulties, sexual problems and identity issues. Counselling can also help with other issues such as: adjusting to a new culture, dealing with dilemmas, making difficult decisions or choices, as well as more specific problems such as bereavement and difficulties affecting work, including bullying and harassment.

Don't wait until a problem has grown very serious - we would much rather you go when something is relatively minor, so that it can be resolved more quickly.

The Service is very well used and saw over 1300 students and 350 staff during last year alone.

Opening times:
Mondays: 9.00 - 5.30

Tuesdays: 9.00 - 7.30
Wednesdays: 9.00 - 5.30

Thursdays: 9.00 - 7.30
Fridays: 9.00 - 5.00

The Service is open throughout the year except for vacation closures at Christmas and Easter. Reception hours and evening opening may be reduced over the summer period.

The University of Cambridge's Disability Service

The Disability Resource Centre (DRC) provides a confidential, professional and accessible service for disabled students and those staff supporting them. The objectives of the DRC are to:

  • Provide advice and guidance for prospective and current disabled students to enable them to access a wide range of service
  • Develop and implement support programmes for disabled students to ensure equal opportunity, access and attainment
  • Provide advice, guidance and training for University and College staff in meeting the institutions' duties to disabled students within the context of disability equality legislation.

The DRC supports individuals with any impairment/disability, medical matter or injury, including those with:

  • Specific learning difficulties (including dyslexia, dyspraxia)
  • Physical/mobility impairments and injuries (including wheelchair users, Upper Limb Disorder - also known as RSI)
  • Sensory impairments (including hearing impairment, visual impairment)
  • Mental health difficulties (including depression, schizophrenia, anxiety disorder)
  • Long standing illnesses/health conditions (including cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, HIV, diabetes, epilepsy)
  • Asperger syndrome and autism

Please contact the DRC for further information, a confidential chat, or to arrange an appointment with an adviser.

  • Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 9am-5pm and Friday 9am-4pm

The Disability Resource Centre (DRC) website can be found here.