You are here

Tax-Efficient giving to St Edmund’s

St Edmund’s College is a registered charity (No.1137454) and so donors who pay income tax in the UK, USA or Canada can make tax-efficient gifts to St Edmund’s College. It is also possible for Basic Rate UK taxpayers to boost the value of their gift to the College through the Gift Aid scheme.

Giving from the UK

The Gift Aid scheme is one of the easiest ways for you to make your gift tax effective, while boosting the value of your donation. If you are a UK taxpayer, St Edmund’s can reclaim the basic rate tax at no extra cost to the donor, boosting the value of every £1 donated by 25p. If you are a higher (40%) or additional rate (45%) taxpayer you can reclaim the difference between basic rate and higher/additional rate of tax by declaring your donation in your self-assessment tax return.

Net Gift Value to St Edmund’s Cost to basic rate taxpayer Cost to higher rate taxpayer Cost to additional rate taxpayer
£100 £125 £100 £75 £68.75

To make your gift tax efficient you will need to sign a Gift Aid declaration.

To read more about Gift Aid, visit the Government website.

Giving from abroad

USA: Tax-deductible contributions can be made to Cambridge in America. When making your donation, you should recommend the allocation of your gift to St Edmund’s College and you may find that your company offers a matched giving programme. Contact the Development Office for more information.

If you pay tax both in the UK and in the USA: Your gift can be simultaneously eligible for tax benefits in both countries by giving through Cambridge in America (UK) Ltd a registered charity in England.

Canada: Tax-efficient gifts can be made via the University of Cambridge to benefit St Edmund’s College and you may find that your company offers a matched giving programme. In order to make your gift tax efficient the University will issue a receipt which will need to be forwarded to the Canadian tax authorities.

Residents outside North America should contact the Development Office with questions on tax benefits in your country.