The College Nurse and Additional Sources of Support

Medical Care

Every student should register themselves with a Cambridge GP. The nearest medical practice to College is located at 1 Huntingdon Road, Tel: 01223 364127. There is a Student Guide to NHS services here. This guide contains useful information and guidance for all students on local health services including:

·         self care / looking after yourself

·         pharmacies

·         NHS 111

·         mental health services

·         college nurses

·         GPs

·         Meningitis ACWY vaccine

·         Patient Experience Team

·         other local NHS services and A&E.


Further health advice can also be found online at


The St Edmund's College Nurse

Because of government guidelines, the College Nurse, Taryn Rothwell, is working remotely. You can have appointments with her either by phone or video, until further notice. To arrange an appointment please email Taryn at

If you are feeling unwell it is a good idea to let the Reception/Porters Lodge know so that relevant help/people can be informed if necessary. If you have symptoms of COVID 19 please do not go in person to Reception or Porters Lodge

The College Nurse is available to assist with a wide variety of health and welfare needs, ranging from help and advice about minor illnesses and injuries to support for emotional issues. If more specialised help or treatment is required, she will help refer you or point you in the right direction whether that be to your GP, the University Counselling Service or another local service. 

If you have ongoing health condition please come and see Taryn at the earliest opportunity to discuss your needs and the support available. It is especially important for any student who has a (potentially) serious condition such as life-threating allergy (Anaphylaxis), Asthma, Diabetes or Epilepsy or a disability to see her as soon as possible to provide the support you might need during your stay in Cambridge.

Any information shared with the College Nurse is treated in strict medical confidence and will not be divulged to anyone without your consent. As with all health care environments, sharing information would only occur in exceptional circumstances.

If it is in the interest of the student for information to be shared with other Health Professionals or University Staff then informed consent will be gained first.

If you are feeling unwell it is a good idea to let the Reception know so that relevant help/people can be informed if necessary. 

If you need any First Aid advice when the clinic is closed contact Reception 01223 336250  (or your own GP Surgery)

If you need help when your GP Surgery is closed please call NHS 111 which is the NHS 24 hour health advice/management line. After a triage assessment they will be able to schedule emergency GP/Dental Appointments or direct you to other services as deemed appropriate.

For life threatening emergencies please call 999.

The Student Counselling Service

The Student Counselling Service is available to all undergraduate students in residence and graduate students on the register.

What sort of problems can be helped through counselling?

Most personal, relationship or identity problems can be helped through counseling. This includes anxiety, stress and depression, family and/or relationship difficulties, sexual problems and identity issues. Counselling can also help with other issues such as: adjusting to a new culture, dealing with dilemmas, making difficult decisions or choices, as well as more specific problems such as bereavement and difficulties affecting work, including bullying and harassment.

Don't wait until a problem has grown very serious - we would much rather you go when something is relatively minor, so that it can be resolved more quickly.

The Service is very well used and saw over 1300 students and 350 staff during last year alone.

Opening times:
Mondays: 9.00 - 5.30

Tuesdays: 9.00 - 7.30
Wednesdays: 9.00 - 5.30

Thursdays: 9.00 - 7.30
Fridays: 9.00 - 5.00

The Service is open throughout the year except for vacation closures at Christmas and Easter. Reception hours and evening opening may be reduced over the summer period.

The University of Cambridge's Disability Service

The Disability Resource Centre (DRC) provides a confidential, professional and accessible service for disabled students and those staff supporting them. The objectives of the DRC are to:

  • Provide advice and guidance for prospective and current disabled students to enable them to access a wide range of service
  • Develop and implement support programmes for disabled students to ensure equal opportunity, access and attainment
  • Provide advice, guidance and training for University and College staff in meeting the institutions' duties to disabled students within the context of disability equality legislation.

The DRC supports individuals with any impairment/disability, medical matter or injury, including those with:

  • Specific learning difficulties (including dyslexia, dyspraxia)
  • Physical/mobility impairments and injuries (including wheelchair users, Upper Limb Disorder - also known as RSI)
  • Sensory impairments (including hearing impairment, visual impairment)
  • Mental health difficulties (including depression, schizophrenia, anxiety disorder)
  • Long standing illnesses/health conditions (including cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, HIV, diabetes, epilepsy)
  • Asperger syndrome and autism

Please contact the DRC for further information, a confidential chat, or to arrange an appointment with an adviser.

  • Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 9am-5pm and Friday 9am-4pm

The Disability Resource Centre (DRC) website can be found here.


Health Information

A new guide to the local NHS just for Cambridge University students is now available. Whether you’re joining us this year, or returning to the city to continue your studies, the guide covers everything from registering with a GP to mental health and from colleges nurses and how they can help you to what to keep a medical kit.

NHS Choices

If you become unwell or are injured make sure you choose the right NHS service to make sure you get the best treatment.

Expert Self Care App

The Expert Self Care Student App is a one stop guide to answering common student health questions within seconds:


Very important to know the signs and symptoms of Meningitis, please read the following websites to familiarise yourself if you not sure:

Meningitis NHS choice\

Personalised Eating Disorder Support

Local hospital

Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge: (01223 245151)

Accident & Emergency Department, Addenbrooke’s: (01223 217118)

A&E or 999

In an extreme emergency the nearest Accident & Emergency Department is at Addenbrooke's Hospital  An extreme emergency is a condition such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life threatening condition. Please use this service appropriately!

You should only call 999 in an emergency. If it is not a life-threatening situation, consider the other options available to you.       

NHS 111

NHS 111  is the NHS non-emergency number.

First Response Service (FRS)

The FRS supports people experiencing a mental health crisis.  The First Response Service provides 24-hours access, seven days a week, 365 days a year, to mental health care, advice, support and treatment.  By calling 111, and selecting option 2, you will be put through to a member of the FRS who will speak to you and discuss your current mental health needs.  For more information please see their information leaflet

Counselling and Mental Health

University Counselling Service :  (01223 332865)

Mind - a Mental Health charity: Helpline (0845 766 0163)

Samaritans  - Samaritans 24hr service where you can talk in your own way and off the record, about whatever's getting to you. T: 08457 90 90 90.

Nightline (formally Linkline)

Get some Headspace -

 Psychological Wellbeing Service -

Eating Disorders - for information and help

Eating Disorders Association

Eating disorders help guide

HIV/AIDS Guidelines on Cambridge University website

Physiotherapy and sports injuries

Physio Direct is a telephone self-referral service available to anyone registered with a Cambridge GP. Please see link for further details:

Websites for General Health Information and Advice

 Patient UK

camStudent health

Foreign Travel Information

Fit For Travel

Foreign Office - Travel & Living Abroad

Sexual Health and Contraception

For comprehensive information on sexual health and to book online sexual health appointments at:

Safe places map:

Myths about Consent:

Rape & Sexual Assault: Information for students put together by the Cambridge Student Health and Wellbeing Committee:

Other useful numbers & resources


NHS Dental Service page 

For emergency dental care telephone 01223 723093 (weekdays only)


University of Cambridge Disability Resource Centre: Contact on 01223 332301


If you fall ill you should inform your College Tutor.
The University's advice on Health can be found at

Registration with a GP

All students are required to register with a doctor. There is no charge for their services and there are several surgeries close to the College.


Further Information

A new guide to the local NHS just for Cambridge University students is now available. Whether you’re joining us this year, or returning to the city to continue your studies, the guide covers everything from registering with a GP to mental health and from colleges nurses and how they can help you to what to keep a medical kit.

The Combination Room website has information on student welfare at and the student welfare officer may be able to help.

Guidelines covering a range of health matters are issued from time to time by various bodies and committees that advise the collegiate University on health issues, please click here for more information.

For advice on vaccine-preventable infectious diseases (including information on meningitis) please click here.