Alumni Society Concert, Dinner, and AGM 2018!
On Saturday 22 September the College was delighted to welcome back alumni from the 1960s right through until the 2010s for its annual Concert & Dinner, hosted by the Alumni Society to coincide with their Annual General Meeting. A great evening was had by all, some of which we have managed to capture below. Scroll to the bottom to see a select few photos from the evening.
The Chair, President, and Treasurer all gave positive reports about the current state of the Alumni Society as it repositions itself to look out at the global community of Eddies alumni, and as it looks to organise and support more alumni gatherings across the world. Following the reports, elections were held. The elected Committee members are as follows:
- Chair: Edward Hagger (BA History of Art, 1993)
- Treasurer: Sam Aworinde (MPhil Advanced Chemical Engineering, 2008) (pictured with wife Victoria)
- Secretary: Chris Powers (Development Officer)
- Adulis Beyenne (BA Medicine, 2005)
- Ailsa McKeon (LLM Law, 2016)
- Elias Mead (MPhil Management, 2017)
- Irene Nicolaou (MPhil Advanced Computer Science, 2011)
- Nathalie Walker (BA History & Management Studies, 2001)
- Patrick Short (PhD Biological Science, 2014)
- Savina Geerinckx (BA Archaeology & Anthropology, 1995)
- Shahzad Ansari (PhD Management Studies, 2000)
- Stu Eru (BA Social & Political Sciences, 2002)
- Toby Salisbury (MPhil, PhD History, 2013)
- Vicci Lau (BA Law, 1998)
Congratulations to new Committee members Ailsa, Elias, Patrick, Toby, and Vicci. A special congratulations must also go out to Nathalie Walker on becoming a mother the week of the AGM!
The music played at St Edmund’s is always to a high-quality and this year was no disappointment. Recently, the College was generously donated a nineteenth century Bechstein Piano from Martin Rees – a real success story for the St Edmund’s Music Society which is going from strength to strength.
At the helm in the Chapel was current student Andreas Wildner (BA Law, 2015). He performed pieces by Rachmaninov, Khatchaturian, Liszt, Prokofiev, and Chopin, the latter of which we have uploaded to YouTube.
Drinks, Dinner, & Drinks!
The Concert was quickly followed up with a short drinks reception and the traditional group photo of attendees. After that, the guests enjoyed formal dinner in Hall, topped off with a wonderfully amusing and interesting overview of the life of guest speaker and alumna Dr Gemma Simmonds (PhD Divinity, 2001) that covered two continents, several decades, many a colourful character and a real insight into how it really is to be a Catholic missionary.
After raucous laughter, provided by Gemma, those present were able to unwind in the SCR and Bar for the remainder of the evening and digest (literally and figuratively) their time back at Eddies.
The College is immensely grateful to Gemma for her talk, to Andreas for his performance, to the catering staff, and to all those who helped make the evening such a success.